Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Josh211 : (12 October 2017 - 10:56 PM)

Philly has a pretty good line.

@  Josh211 : (12 October 2017 - 10:46 PM)

Game, set, match. Philly held serve...

@  panfanman : (12 October 2017 - 10:46 PM)

That lose was on Cam

@  SuperCam : (12 October 2017 - 10:45 PM)

Too many turnovers tonight guys. Gotta take care of that rock fellas.

@  SuperCam : (12 October 2017 - 10:45 PM)

Darn.

@  panfanman : (12 October 2017 - 10:38 PM)

We got this. Come on Cam don't fudge it up.

@  SuperCam : (12 October 2017 - 10:38 PM)

Wow.

@  SuperCam : (12 October 2017 - 10:37 PM)

Can't believe we still have a shot.

@  panfanman : (12 October 2017 - 10:37 PM)

We need CMC to step up with a punt return

@  panfanman : (12 October 2017 - 10:36 PM)

3 and out d. Come on

@  panfanman : (12 October 2017 - 10:35 PM)

Those last 3 plays. Smh

@  panfanman : (12 October 2017 - 10:33 PM)

Terrible play calling with so much time left

@  SuperCam : (12 October 2017 - 10:33 PM)

Not sure why he feels like he has to go for it all on each throw.

@  panfanman : (12 October 2017 - 10:33 PM)

Three passes in a row going for way too much. 😟

@  SuperCam : (12 October 2017 - 10:32 PM)

Horrible. Just horrible.

@  SuperCam : (12 October 2017 - 10:32 PM)

Darn it. Stop trying to go for it all. Pick up the first down.

@  panfanman : (12 October 2017 - 10:32 PM)

Why the fart are they going for it all!!!

@  SuperCam : (12 October 2017 - 10:31 PM)

Bad pass there Cam.

@  SuperCam : (12 October 2017 - 10:30 PM)

KEEP POUNDING!

@  SuperCam : (12 October 2017 - 10:30 PM)

Your time to shine now Cam.

Photo

Panthers Rookie WR Curtis Samuel leaves Veterans Bedazzled

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 PantherFan007

PantherFan007

Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 30,367 posts
  • LocationMount Holly, North Carolina

Posted 10 June 2017 - 09:05 PM

Great things being seen and heard about Panthers 2nd Round Draft Pick WR Curtis Samuel.  Love the way this sounds!  :headbang:

He is a blur in blue, a rookie wide receiver for the Carolina Panthers whose signature asset becomes apparent in every drill.

Curtis Samuel can flat-out run. He is a high-speed internet connection, a roadrunner in an old cartoon, a tornado dropping down from the clouds. He has caught the attention of NFL veterans who are not easily impressed.

“The dude is fast, man,” Panthers linebacker Thomas Davis said of Samuel. “Really fast.”

“Whew!” said Panthers cornerback Captain Munnerlyn, who has been tasked with covering Samuel out of the slot formation during the June workouts. Munnerlyn added he might need to “lose a few pounds” to stay with Samuel.

“I definitely showed them I could run a little bit,” Samuel said, grinning, after a workout Monday. “But there’s more to come. I’m not satisfied with how fast I’m running. I want to get faster.”

Samuel, the Panthers’ second-round pick out of Ohio State in 2017, was drafted to help Carolina get more explosive on offense. Like first-round pick Christian McCaffrey – who is also extremely quick, although I’d put my money on Samuel to win a race between the two – Samuel will line up as both a receiver and a running back this season.

Now I know the team hasn’t even put on full pads yet – that doesn’t come until late July – and I know Samuel is raw. But he’s a player Panthers fans should and will get excited about, because speed kills in nearly every sport. Samuel will be a threat every time he walks onto the field.

Ted Ginn Jr. was like that, of course. The two are similar in a number of ways, from their college (Ohio State) to their height (5-11). The Panthers wanted to keep Ginn in the offseason, but he got a better offer in New Orleans and now will play for Carolina’s division rival instead. That’s part of the reason Carolina drafted Samuel and McCaffrey – the Panthers had to first replenish and then increase their team speed.

Ginn has been one of the NFL’s fastest players for a decade now and somehow remains that way, even at age 32. Samuel is only 20 years old, by the way.

So who would win a race between the two?

Apparently, it would depend on the distance of the race.

Said Davis: “I think Ted is more of a ‘build up speed’ guy, and Curtis is a ‘right now’ guy. He’s a guy who can go get it right now.”

I read that quote to Panthers coach Ron Rivera and asked him to respond.

“Yeah, ‘right now’ is a good way to put it,” Rivera said. “The biggest thing you see from Curtis is his acceleration. He gets from zero to top speed pretty doggone quick. He creates his separation in the 15-20 yard area. Whereas Teddy was just: ‘Go.’ But it was a ‘build-up’ go.”

fowler-samuel
Carolina Panthers rookie wide receiver Curtis Samuel, right, will be a slot receiver first and foremost for offensive coordinator Mike Shula but will also line up occasionally at running back.
Jeff Siner jsiner@charlotteobserver.com
I asked Rivera who would win a 40-yard dash between the two players. “Teddy would win,” he said.

How about a 10-yard race? “I think Curtis would,” Rivera said.

That may be borne out by some numbers. For a player with the acceleration of a sports car, Samuel didn’t have a ton of 50-yard catches at Ohio State.

As a first-team All-American in 2016 and all-everything H-back for Ohio State, Samuel averaged a relatively modest 11.7 yards per catch in 2016 (74 catches for 865 yards).

IN A 40-YARD DASH, PANTHERS COACH RON RIVERA BELIEVES TED GINN WOULD BEAT CURTIS SAMUEL. IN A 10-YARD DASH, HOWEVER, RIVERA BELIEVES SAMUEL WOULD WIN BECAUSE OF HIS INCREDIBLE ACCELERATION.

In Ginn’s three seasons with Carolina, he averaged 15.3 yards per catch – almost 4 yards more per reception, against stronger competition.

But Ginn also never caught more than 54 passes in those seasons, as the Panthers relied on tight end Greg Olsen and wide receiver Kelvin Benjamin on a more regular basis to move the chains. Ginn was the home-run threat.

And Ginn, of course, never carried the ball with the frequency of Samuel – who is close to 20 pounds heavier than Ginn and who rushed for nearly 8 yards per attempt last season in college (97 carries, 771 yards).

Samuel ran an official time of 4.31 in the 40-yard dash at the NFL scouting combine in March – one of the best times there – but he scoffed at that number Monday.

“I can run faster than that,” Samuel said. “Probably somewhere in the 4.2s.”

FACEBOOK TWITTER EMAIL SHARE
Curtis Samuel: The best part of this Carolina Panthers rookie's day is ...

Carolina Panthers rookie wide receiver Curtis Samuel reveals what his favorite part of Friday was to reporters following the team's second session of rookie minicamp.
Jeff Siner The Charlotte Observer
Can cornerbacks in the NFL keep up with you?

“I don’t know,” Samuel said, before sounding very much like he did know. “I’m confident in myself that I can beat anybody – not only with my speed, but just by trying to be a smarter player.”

That’s what Samuel is working on now. He has a lot to learn, since the Panthers are going to use him both as a slot receiver and occasionally as a running back, too. He also will be a kickoff returner for Carolina (McCaffrey, who will be a running back first and foremost, is tentatively slated to return punts for Carolina).

“Kickoffs,” Samuel said, “are just one cut and go. Then you just run as fast as you can.”

And how fast is that?

I HAVEN’T RUN MY FASTEST YET. AND THAT’S SCARY.
Curtis Samuel

Who knows? The Panthers have employed some mighty fast players over the years who were also very good football players. Michael Bates was an Olympic medalist as a track star, Steve Smith was remarkably quick. Samuel will also have a chance to make an impact, but there is much he still has left to do first.

“I’m looking forward to seeing what this young man is able to do when we put on pads,” Davis said of Samuel.

Me too.

Because, as Samuel said: “I haven’t run my fastest yet. And that’s scary.”

I asked Rivera who would win a 40-yard dash between the two players. “Teddy would win,” he said.

How about a 10-yard race? “I think Curtis would,” Rivera said.

That may be borne out by some numbers. For a player with the acceleration of a sports car, Samuel didn’t have a ton of 50-yard catches at Ohio State.

As a first-team All-American in 2016 and all-everything H-back for Ohio State, Samuel averaged a relatively modest 11.7 yards per catch in 2016 (74 catches for 865 yards).

In Ginn’s three seasons with Carolina, he averaged 15.3 yards per catch – almost 4 yards more per reception, against stronger competition.

But Ginn also never caught more than 54 passes in those seasons, as the Panthers relied on tight end Greg Olsen and wide receiver Kelvin Benjamin on a more regular basis to move the chains. Ginn was the home-run threat.

And Ginn, of course, never carried the ball with the frequency of Samuel – who is close to 20 pounds heavier than Ginn and who rushed for nearly 8 yards per attempt last season in college (97 carries, 771 yards).

Samuel ran an official time of 4.31 in the 40-yard dash at the NFL scouting combine in March – one of the best times there – but he scoffed at that number Monday.

“I can run faster than that,” Samuel said. “Probably somewhere in the 4.2s.”

Can cornerbacks in the NFL keep up with you?

“I don’t know,” Samuel said, before sounding very much like he did know. “I’m confident in myself that I can beat anybody – not only with my speed, but just by trying to be a smarter player.”

That’s what Samuel is working on now. He has a lot to learn, since the Panthers are going to use him both as a slot receiver and occasionally as a running back, too. He also will be a kickoff returner for Carolina (McCaffrey, who will be a running back first and foremost, is tentatively slated to return punts for Carolina).

“Kickoffs,” Samuel said, “are just one cut and go. Then you just run as fast as you can.”

And how fast is that?

"I HAVEN’T RUN MY FASTEST YET. AND THAT’S SCARY" - Curtis Samuel

Who knows? The Panthers have employed some mighty fast players over the years who were also very good football players. Michael Bates was an Olympic medalist as a track star, Steve Smith was remarkably quick. Samuel will also have a chance to make an impact, but there is much he still has left to do first.

“I’m looking forward to seeing what this young man is able to do when we put on pads,” Davis said of Samuel.

Me too.

Because, as Samuel said: “I haven’t run my fastest yet. And that’s scary.”

http://www.charlotte...e154664069.html

• Carol and Spook like this

#2 Josh211

Josh211

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 10 June 2017 - 09:47 PM

If Samuel n McCaffrey r slated for big targets, who gets less? Ginn got lots n left. Olsen gets his, KB gets his, that's roughly half? 1,800 yards. Both around 900! 2 rooks (rb/wr) + fun + 1 step up? + Stew? 5000+!!! We got weapons out the wazoo! Can we use them all? We turn the ball over on the regular on d...my wish!

#3 firstchance

firstchance

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts
  • LocationProud American

Posted 11 June 2017 - 02:09 PM

I just hope he can catch as well as he runs...can be a big difference.

#4 Josh211

Josh211

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 11 June 2017 - 08:50 PM

Good point 1st!

#5 45catfan

45catfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  • LocationCarolina

Posted 11 June 2017 - 08:58 PM

I called that pick if I remember correctly?   :Chuckle2:   :smiley_027:

• PantherFan007, iiwii and Carol like this

#6 iiwii

iiwii

Admin

• Administrators
  • 12,493 posts
  • LocationCherryville, NC

Posted 12 June 2017 - 07:15 PM

I called that pick if I remember correctly?   :Chuckle2:   :smiley_027:

Good call too.  I'm excited for the season to start... but not ready for summer to end just yet (hasn't really started yet, lol)

• Carol likes this

#7 45catfan

45catfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  • LocationCarolina

Posted 12 June 2017 - 08:03 PM

Good call too.  I'm excited for the season to start... but not ready for summer to end just yet (hasn't really started yet, lol)

I dunno, I've got poison ivy twice already and chewed up by bunch of red ants last weekend.  I'm nearly done with summer and it hasn't even got here yet!

#8 PantherFan007

PantherFan007

Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 30,367 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 07:28 AM

I dunno, I've got poison ivy twice already and chewed up by bunch of red ants last weekend.  I'm nearly done with summer and it hasn't even got here yet!

We have more ants and poison ivy than I ever care to see in a lifetime.  Why don't ants get poison ivy?? :lol:

• iiwii and 45catfan like this

#9 PantherFan007

PantherFan007

Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 30,367 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 07:31 AM

This kid CAN catch.  For anyone who is wondering ;) Though he was a Running Back at Ohio, the Panthers drafted him as a Wide Receiver for a reason ;)

• Flawless and Josh211 like this

#10 45catfan

45catfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  • LocationCarolina

Posted 13 June 2017 - 01:25 PM

We have more ants and poison ivy than I ever care to see in a lifetime.  Why don't ants get poison ivy?? :lol:

Because they can crawl beneath it?  :lol:

• PantherFan007 likes this

#11 Spook

Spook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationTaylorsville, NC

Posted 13 June 2017 - 04:59 PM

I'm reading that Samuel has an "undisclosed" injury and the Panthers have been limiting his activity. Now that an interesting tidbit. :(

#12 45catfan

45catfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  • LocationCarolina

Posted 13 June 2017 - 05:52 PM

I'm reading that Samuel has an "undisclosed" injury and the Panthers have been limiting his activity. Now that an interesting tidbit. :(

Hamstring tightening.

#13 iiwii

iiwii

Admin

• Administrators
  • 12,493 posts

Posted 13 June 2017 - 08:27 PM

And ticks... and Mosquitos!  I've had all in abundance this year.  Wish they would all catch poison ivy and die.

But them Fire Ants... man they will tear you UP!  Before you know it too.

Now to keep this on topic.  Hyped about Curtis Samuel.  

• PantherFan007 likes this

#14 Spook

Spook

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationTaylorsville, NC

Posted 15 June 2017 - 06:09 PM

Samuel tweaked his hamstring today in the last day of minicamp. Was taken out and did not participate the rest of the day. So now I'm wondering if he will have time to recover in the six weeks till training camp. :(

#15 iiwii

iiwii

Admin

• Administrators
  • 12,493 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 08:08 PM

And so it begins...  He just needs to get healed up before coming back.  Hammy's can nag you all year.

I was already thinking that when I read him saying that wasn't even as fast as he could run, and thought to myself, don't push it or you'll be sitting on IR.  He'll still get some looks and chances though.  I just don't want him to do it too soon.

• Flawless likes this

#16 Josh211

Josh211

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 10:45 PM

Hammies are no joke. Just ask Gettis... Will keep u off the field all year if u rush 'em!
  • Flawless likes this

#17 Flawless

Flawless

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts
  • LocationRockford, Illinois

Posted 16 June 2017 - 09:20 PM

Hammies are no joke. Just ask Gettis... Will keep u off the field all year if u rush 'em!

Yeah that was a super depressing loss...

#18 PantherFan007

PantherFan007

Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 30,367 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 07:26 PM

Hamstrings are the worst injury for a WR, aside from an ACL or MCL.  They are so hard to heal.  It depends on if it was just the cramping type or if he actually tore something :bag:

#19 45catfan

45catfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  • LocationCarolina

Posted 24 June 2017 - 11:38 AM

Hopefully the six week break will allow it to heal.  It's going to be scary to see this guy fully healthy...for other teams that is.

#20 Flawless

Flawless

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts
  • LocationRockford, Illinois

Posted 24 June 2017 - 11:55 AM

This kid CAN catch.  For anyone who is wondering ;) Though he was a Running Back at Ohio, the Panthers drafted him as a Wide Receiver for a reason ;)

& he dont just catch the eazy ones he catches some crazy ones alotta wrs in the league would drop...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users