Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  45catfan : (19 August 2017 - 05:52 PM)

3-0 turnover ratio = loss every time!

@  SuperCam : (19 August 2017 - 04:02 PM)

Webb has looked good so far.

@  SuperCam : (19 August 2017 - 03:53 PM)

Are they telling Byrd to take out all kick offs?

@  SuperCam : (19 August 2017 - 03:36 PM)

Titans are 3 for 3 on 4th downs. They just want it more right now.

@  SuperCam : (19 August 2017 - 03:22 PM)

So far, there have been quite a few showing zero.

@  firstchance : (19 August 2017 - 03:14 PM)

I know a lot of people around here like Cash, don't know if because he played at Duke or because he was an UDF, but he has showed me zero.

@  firstchance : (19 August 2017 - 03:05 PM)

his*

@  firstchance : (19 August 2017 - 03:05 PM)

Southward's hair must had gotten in hi way.

@  firstchance : (19 August 2017 - 03:04 PM)

That 1st quarter mano a mano was embarrassing

@  firstchance : (19 August 2017 - 03:02 PM)

Yes he is and the blocking was there. Good to see even is they didnt have their first teamers in.

@  SuperCam : (19 August 2017 - 03:00 PM)

Finally. C Mac. Fast.

@  SuperCam : (19 August 2017 - 02:47 PM)

*1st teamers. Stupid autocorrect.

@  SuperCam : (19 August 2017 - 02:46 PM)

Just like that. 17 to 0. And it's still the 1st Qtr. It's not encouraging since most of 1st framers are out there right now.

@  firstchance : (19 August 2017 - 02:44 PM)

i guess it is all Mike Shula's fault

@  firstchance : (19 August 2017 - 02:43 PM)

worley is horrible, just horrible

@  SuperCam : (19 August 2017 - 02:42 PM)

Another TO.

@  SuperCam : (19 August 2017 - 02:42 PM)

All 3 phases.

@  firstchance : (19 August 2017 - 02:39 PM)

Great coaching...Byrd fields a punt at the 5 yard line...this is embarrassing

@  firstchance : (19 August 2017 - 02:34 PM)

This well prepared panthers squad looks like a college team verses a NFL team. I know it is preseason but show some pride and effort.

@  SuperCam : (19 August 2017 - 02:29 PM)

Not a promising start, but gotta rebound. Bad practice on Thursday looks to have carried over a bit to the beginning of this game.

Photo

Salary Cap....FYI....Heads-Up

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Hobbit99

Hobbit99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 498 posts
  • LocationThe Old North State

Posted 24 July 2017 - 09:48 AM

Here is a little something just For Your Information.....

Not saying this is a definite... Just that the talk is already beginning. For those who care, take a minute and READ this article. It's short...only takes a couple minutes. Interesting commentary put together by Carolina Huddle.  CH leads us to some thought provoking stuff......

http://www.carolinah...s-salary-cap-2/

:o

#2 Good_Riddance

Good_Riddance

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,506 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 24 July 2017 - 01:02 PM

It really boils down to what will make these guys happy. I love a guy like Thomas Davis, but how much longer does he want to play? And how much money should he make given his age and the fact that we have Shaq Thompson who was drafted to be his replacement. I'm all for keeping Thomas Davis, but you would think that at his age he would prioritize winning over money. Not saying he should be taken advantage of, I believe he and Olsen should be properly compensated for what they will bring to the team for however long the length of their new deals is, but the Panthers are the team that helped put them in a position to succeed.

When Mike Martz was brought in to be the Bears offensive coordinator, Olsen was brought into a team where he would be a focal point of a passing game. If he had stayed in Chicago his numbers would have been well....... not good. Who knows where else he could have theoretically been traded to besides us. The team wanted to help Cam's growth and that involved prioritizing the tight end position in the passing game. He is in the middle of a contract that he signed and agreed to before he went out and pulled in 3 straight 1000 yard seasons.

I love Greg, he's dependable, he's a super human being, he's got a good work ethic. I wish it were enough for him to be happy with a couple million more a year for 3 years and let's get it over with and play some dang football without strapping the cap.

• Hobbit99 and 45catfan like this

#3 Hobbit99

Hobbit99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 03:30 PM

It really boils down to what will make these guys happy. I love a guy like Thomas Davis, but how much longer does he want to play? And how much money should he make given his age and the fact that we have Shaq Thompson who was drafted to be his replacement. I'm all for keeping Thomas Davis, but you would think that at his age he would prioritize winning over money. Not saying he should be taken advantage of, I believe he and Olsen should be properly compensated for what they will bring to the team for however long the length of their new deals is, but the Panthers are the team that helped put them in a position to succeed.

When Mike Martz was brought in to be the Bears offensive coordinator, Olsen was brought into a team where he would be a focal point of a passing game. If he had stayed in Chicago his numbers would have been well....... not good. Who knows where else he could have theoretically been traded to besides us. The team wanted to help Cam's growth and that involved prioritizing the tight end position in the passing game. He is in the middle of a contract that he signed and agreed to before he went out and pulled in 3 straight 1000 yard seasons.

I love Greg, he's dependable, he's a super human being, he's got a good work ethic. I wish it were enough for him to be happy with a couple million more a year for 3 years and let's get it over with and play some dang football without strapping the cap.

Yes.!  This..^^^  Exactly.!!

#4 45catfan

45catfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts
  • LocationCarolina

Posted 24 July 2017 - 06:59 PM

We have to see what happens with future signings, but if the cap is already projected to be over next year, it can't be blamed on Hurney at this juncture.

#5 45catfan

45catfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts
  • LocationCarolina

Posted 24 July 2017 - 07:08 PM

I don't know what Hurney was talking about unless he's factoring in deals that are on the table  or in the works.  They still don't have the Turner's contract calculated yet, but even still, next year's cap is coming in at $158 million.  So I'm not sure how that's over the cap? :confused:

http://www.spotrac.c...thers/cap/2018/

• Good_Riddance likes this

#6 45catfan

45catfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts
  • LocationCarolina

Posted 24 July 2017 - 07:13 PM

Oh, and I'm not sure what Olsen is complaining about, he's the 5th highest paid person on the team next year.  If he thinks he getting QB or top defensive money (i.e. Kuechly) he's barking up the wrong tree.

#7 45catfan

45catfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts
  • LocationCarolina

Posted 24 July 2017 - 07:27 PM

At $158 miliion, we are about $9 million under the cap based off this year's cap number of $167million. Granted they grow the limit annually, but it won't be enough to get Star, Norwell, Davis and Olsen signed.   You are looking at one NEW deal at best and maybe a couple restructures.

#8 45catfan

45catfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts
  • LocationCarolina

Posted 24 July 2017 - 08:20 PM

The way I see it, Dave drafted Butler knowing he wouldn't be able to re-sign Short and Star.  The absolute BEST scenario I can think of is:

a) Extend Davis under the assumption he's in it for the team, not for the money.  Back-load some deal that he'll never see the end of and ask him to step back after this year into a secondary role to Shaq and presumably retire a Panther in a couple of years from now.

b ) Since Norwell was an UFDA, he can't demand too big of a deal.  Back-load his deal anticipating other contracts coming off the books.

c) Restructure Olsen's deal with a small increase and cash performance escalators to give the perception of a better deal.

d) Let Star walk.  It sucks.  But after these three moves above, there will be nothing left to offer without totally insulting him or crushing the cap.

#9 Hobbit99

Hobbit99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 24 July 2017 - 11:57 PM

I don't know what Hurney was talking about unless he's factoring in deals that are on the table  or in the works.  They still don't have the Turner's contract calculated yet, but even still, next year's cap is coming in at $158 million.  So I'm not sure how that's over the cap? :confused:

http://www.spotrac.c...thers/cap/2018/

I'm pretty sure that the story here is based on the UPCOMING deals to be done. Assuming that TD, Olsen, and Norwell WILL get done, then we are in cap trouble... again.  The important thing for all of us to remember .... There just is NO bottomless pit of money available. Even if we had tons of money, the CAP keeps us from spending it. When you consider our talented and currently HIGHLY paid players there just isn't room under the cap to continue to sign and reward players with highly lucrative contracts. We ARE NOT ALONE with this problem.!! This is why so many players opt for free agency. They hope to find a team somewhere that is willing to mortgage the team future to give them BIG bucks. I don't know what the answer is.... Until someone starts getting "real" with these salaries, we will continue to face these issues... year after year. Find a great player, develop him, then have him jump ship for more money.  Based on CAP numbers, there will always be a real finite number of players who can be signed to BIG number contracts. Once you hit that number, everyone else gets less.....

C'est la vie...

• 45catfan likes this

#10 firstchance

firstchance

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts
  • LocationProud American

Posted 25 July 2017 - 08:37 AM

No doubt a lot of good conversation here concerning the cap. However, a couple points. First, we don't know what next year's cap (cat made some reference) is going to be ( I anticipate 180 mil or maybe even higher) and the fact that whatever we don't spend this year we will be able to roll over until next year. So I think it is more important how deals are structured rather than just the amount of the deal ( also important just secondary in my opinion). You know the funny thing...back when Marty was originally hired, his strongest asset was that he was a numbers guy...oh well.

Go Panthers, let's lace them tight and get to work.

• Good_Riddance and 45catfan like this

#11 45catfan

45catfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts
  • LocationCarolina

Posted 25 July 2017 - 09:08 PM

No doubt a lot of good conversation here concerning the cap. However, a couple points. First, we don't know what next year's cap (cat made some reference) is going to be ( I anticipate 180 mil or maybe even higher) and the fact that whatever we don't spend this year we will be able to roll over until next year. So I think it is more important how deals are structured rather than just the amount of the deal ( also important just secondary in my opinion). You know the funny thing...back when Marty was originally hired, his strongest asset was that he was a numbers guy...oh well.

Go Panthers, let's lace them tight and get to work.

We still don't have the Turner cap figures.  This is getting frustrating, but I believe it's around $11 million per year.  Charles Johnson (WR) is going to save us a littler over $1 million by letting him go. Delaire's savings are minimal.  We are right now at $18 million under the cap.  If the $11 million is correct on Turner, that's only going to leave us $7 million left.

Looking up the annual cap bump trend, expect about at $12-13 million increase next year.  If that is correct, that would put the cap right at $180 million.  Let's just say for argument sake we are assuming no deals are made until next off season (BIG assumption) and we would be $7 million below the $167 million cap limit now (at $160 million), that would put the team $20 million below the cap in this scenario.

That ain't a lot when you are talking about re-signing 4 starters which also happens to include two veteran captains, all but one are former first rounders and playing at a high level!!!  Add in any free agents and rookies, yep, that cushion gets eaten up in a hurry.

#12 45catfan

45catfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts
  • LocationCarolina

Posted 12 August 2017 - 06:24 PM

I finally found Turner's cap figures.  It's heavily back-loaded as I suspected.  He'll either be traded, extended, or his contract reworked going into his final season.  Talk about a balloon payment!

http://www.spotrac.c...i-turner-14503/

We were almost $21 million under the cap before Turner's numbers were tabulated...now only about $12 million under for this season.

#13 Hobbit99

Hobbit99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 498 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 02:47 AM

I finally found Turner's cap figures.  It's heavily back-loaded as I suspected.  He'll either be traded, extended, or his contract reworked going into his final season.  Talk about a balloon payment!

http://www.spotrac.c...i-turner-14503/

We were almost $21 million under the cap before Turner's numbers were tabulated...now only about $12 million under for this season.

Yeah. that seems more like what I was expecting. There is precious little room at this point for large contract deals or long extensions with big money deals or bonuses. We will have to watch the contract expenditures pretty closely.... or "cap hell" will be another thing about which to worry. AND it wouldn't take much to do it either....

#14 koda

koda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 14 August 2017 - 07:10 AM

I don't want to see Norwell hit FA. In fact I had rather signed him than Turner. Both are good Guards but I just feel that Norwell is slightly better at pass blocking and a lot better at run blocking.jmo.

Olsen has been one of the leagues most dependable players. He's managed to stay healthy, play every game and do so at a high level. He's under contract through 2018 and he'll enter the 2019 season 34 yrs old. At that age I would only extend his contract for the same money he presently makes and maybe through the 2020 season ( in which he'll be 35).

TD has shown no signs of slowing down but he'll be 35 next season and age gets us all. I'd evaluate how he does this year and go from there but I can't see going over the cap for either one of these guys.

TD's production will likely go down from here. Rivera already said that Shaq will take some of his snaps this season.

In the next draft it may be time for a OLB & TE.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users