Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  SuperCam : (10 December 2017 - 04:08 PM)

Thanks Wilkes. Hopefully you didn't have to override Rivera on those blitzes. 4 straight blitzes.

@  Josh211 : (10 December 2017 - 04:06 PM)

Nice job D!

@  SuperCam : (10 December 2017 - 04:06 PM)

Yeeeeeesssssss!!!!!!!

@  firstchance : (10 December 2017 - 04:06 PM)

panthers win, sweet caroline

One more time D!

Yes!

@  SuperCam : (10 December 2017 - 04:05 PM)

This is what I'm talking about. Pressure!

@  firstchance : (10 December 2017 - 04:05 PM)

it's so simple

@  Josh211 : (10 December 2017 - 04:05 PM)

Short!

@  firstchance : (10 December 2017 - 04:05 PM)

thats right

@  SuperCam : (10 December 2017 - 04:05 PM)

Yes!

@  panfanman : (10 December 2017 - 04:04 PM)

turn over PLEASE

@  SuperCam : (10 December 2017 - 04:04 PM)

One more turnover. I love the keep pounding chant.

@  panfanman : (10 December 2017 - 04:03 PM)

ok boys n girls, this D stand is it.

@  SuperCam : (10 December 2017 - 04:03 PM)

C'mon D.

@  Josh211 : (10 December 2017 - 04:03 PM)

Let's not screw this up...

@  firstchance : (10 December 2017 - 04:03 PM)

now PLEASE BRING PRESSURE, PLEASE

@  firstchance : (10 December 2017 - 04:02 PM)

flag zimmer

@  firstchance : (10 December 2017 - 04:02 PM)

TD

@  Josh211 : (10 December 2017 - 04:01 PM)

TD!!!

Photo

Vernon Butler update

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 firstchance

firstchance

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationProud American

Posted 11 August 2017 - 05:02 PM

Panthers coach Ron Rivera said "the hope" is to have DT Vernon Butler (knee) ready for the season opener.

Butler's Thursday MRI confirmed he's only dealing with a sprain. He'll miss the rest of the preseason, but has a chance to be back for Week 1. Butler will open the year in a rotational role if healthy.

#2 PantherFan007

PantherFan007

Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 30,480 posts
  • LocationMount Holly, North Carolina

Posted 11 August 2017 - 06:56 PM

Dang.  A sprain isn't a good way to start a season.  Glad he'll have time to heal some between now & then.

#3 45catfan

45catfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 642 posts
  • LocationCarolina

Posted 11 August 2017 - 09:00 PM

Dang.  A sprain isn't a good way to start a season.  Glad he'll have time to heal some between now & then.

Better than a tare.  The way Butler was acting, I thought he tore a ligament for sure.  So a sprain is a relief considering the alternative.

• iiwii likes this

#4 Josh211

Josh211

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 09:26 PM

Dude felt just like I did when he felt it n fell (for him, not for me). TWO straight seasons?!?! Sprains, really!?! Damn rehab... Poor man. Unlucky start.

#5 Hobbit99

Hobbit99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 698 posts
  • LocationThe Old North State

Posted 12 August 2017 - 02:12 AM

I'm wondering about his leg strength and leg conditioning. This whole sprain/strain thing gives me pause for reflection.  Wonder if Kenn is working on this.?? Sprains are bad things. No surgical options, just rest and rehab. Sometimes it takes a long time. Fingers crossed..!!

• PantherFan007 likes this

#6 PantherFan007

PantherFan007

Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 30,480 posts
  • LocationMount Holly, North Carolina

Posted 12 August 2017 - 05:58 AM

Better than a tare.  The way Butler was acting, I thought he tore a ligament for sure.  So a sprain is a relief considering the alternative.

From his reaction, I thought ACL, but I'm glad to hear it was just a sprain.

#7 koda

koda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 07:38 AM

​ I copied and pasted this from the panthers.com site>>> http://www.panthers....0e-2ce46942a32c

{{{{{{Butler went down with about five minutes left in the first quarter of Wednesday's preseason opener against the Texans when he was blindsided by a crack-back block from offensive tackle Breno Giacomini. Butler pounded his fist in the turf as medical attention arrived.

Rivera said he sent a replay to the league for review. }}}}}}}

I still hadn't re-watched the game; What do you guys think about the crack-back block ?

I first thought it was a sucker punch and at the same time I said out loud; keep your head on a swivel Butler. When I coached School ball I was famous for telling players to "keep your head on a swivel". Always stay alert because there's always someone out there looking to take a blind side cheap shot.

#8 Hobbit99

Hobbit99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 12:15 PM

​ I copied and pasted this from the panthers.com site>>> http://www.panthers....0e-2ce46942a32c

{{{{{{Butler went down with about five minutes left in the first quarter of Wednesday's preseason opener against the Texans when he was blindsided by a crack-back block from offensive tackle Breno Giacomini. Butler pounded his fist in the turf as medical attention arrived.

Rivera said he sent a replay to the league for review. }}}}}}}

I still hadn't re-watched the game; What do you guys think about the crack-back block ?

I first thought it was a sucker punch and at the same time I said out loud; keep your head on a swivel Butler. When I coached School ball I was famous for telling players to "keep your head on a swivel". Always stay alert because there's always someone out there looking to take a blind side cheap shot.

You know, things have changed a lot since I played. We were actually taught to utilize crack back blocks as a first line technique. We would open holes in the line with a pulling guard and when the D player would come through he would be instantly met with a crack back coming down the line. The surprise "blind" hit would usually be enough to open up the hole for the RB. Tough players survived, others got hurt. These days the propensity for injuries keeps those "tough guy" plays off of the field for the most part. I hate players getting hurt, but it's a tough man's game. Seriously.....

• koda likes this

#9 firstchance

firstchance

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 406 posts
  • LocationProud American

Posted 12 August 2017 - 01:45 PM

Went back and reviewed frame by frame, clearly not an illegal block. It was shoulder to shoulder and the guy got in front of Butler. In fact, after reviewing frame by frame it is difficult to tell if the injury happened on that block (it appeared that Butler's foot was not firmly planted as the heel was up) or after the guy kept coming after him  

once he was down...doing his job, in my opinion.  

• Hobbit99 likes this

#10 koda

koda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 01:50 PM

You know, things have changed a lot since I played. We were actually taught to utilize crack back blocks as a first line technique. We would open holes in the line with a pulling guard and when the D player would come through he would be instantly met with a crack back coming down the line. The surprise "blind" hit would usually be enough to open up the hole for the RB. Tough players survived, others got hurt. These days the propensity for injuries keeps those "tough guy" plays off of the field for the most part. I hate players getting hurt, but it's a tough man's game. Seriously.....

I always said that thinking slow on the football field will get you hurt. Some players naturally think fast some don't. Being clumsy will also get a player hurt among other things. I hope this will be a positive wake-up call for Butler 

• Hobbit99 likes this

#11 Hobbit99

Hobbit99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 02:34 AM

I always said that thinking slow on the football field will get you hurt. Some players naturally think fast some don't. Being clumsy will also get a player hurt among other things. I hope this will be a positive wake-up call for Butler 

Yep.... Really need to stay alert. Things happen fast around the line of scrimmage...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users