Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  SuperCam : (10 December 2017 - 04:08 PM)

Thanks Wilkes. Hopefully you didn't have to override Rivera on those blitzes. 4 straight blitzes.

@  Josh211 : (10 December 2017 - 04:06 PM)

Nice job D!

@  SuperCam : (10 December 2017 - 04:06 PM)

Yeeeeeesssssss!!!!!!!

@  firstchance : (10 December 2017 - 04:06 PM)

panthers win, sweet caroline

One more time D!

Yes!

@  SuperCam : (10 December 2017 - 04:05 PM)

This is what I'm talking about. Pressure!

@  firstchance : (10 December 2017 - 04:05 PM)

it's so simple

@  Josh211 : (10 December 2017 - 04:05 PM)

Short!

@  firstchance : (10 December 2017 - 04:05 PM)

thats right

@  SuperCam : (10 December 2017 - 04:05 PM)

Yes!

@  panfanman : (10 December 2017 - 04:04 PM)

turn over PLEASE

@  SuperCam : (10 December 2017 - 04:04 PM)

One more turnover. I love the keep pounding chant.

@  panfanman : (10 December 2017 - 04:03 PM)

ok boys n girls, this D stand is it.

@  SuperCam : (10 December 2017 - 04:03 PM)

C'mon D.

@  Josh211 : (10 December 2017 - 04:03 PM)

Let's not screw this up...

@  firstchance : (10 December 2017 - 04:03 PM)

now PLEASE BRING PRESSURE, PLEASE

@  firstchance : (10 December 2017 - 04:02 PM)

flag zimmer

@  firstchance : (10 December 2017 - 04:02 PM)

TD

@  Josh211 : (10 December 2017 - 04:01 PM)

TD!!!

Photo

The Common Thread

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 coffee

coffee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,221 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 04:29 PM

I doubt this will be a popular thread because people don't seem to like good things being said about Shula, but here goes...  In each of our wins, we've had specific things the recaps focused on.  See if you can pick out the common thread:

Game 1: "Newton was off-target on numerous throws, including missing a wide-open Ed Dickson in the end zone in the first half." (http://www.espn.com/...meId=400951605)

Game 2: "The Panthers ... had their drive end on an overthrow by Cam Newton to a wide open Christian McCaffrey." (https://catcrave.com...buffalo-bills/)

Game 4: "Cam Newton was able to find Kelvin Benjamin wide — and we mean wide — open for a 43-yard gain." (https://nesn.com/201...sh-in-foxboro/)

Game 5: "Newton dropped back and Dickson ran straight down the middle and was wide open." (http://www.freep.com...ore/744242001/)

Shula runs a misdirection offense.  That offense was a good enough plan to get us our first two wins even though Cam was playing like crap.  And it is not just winning games.  It has produced VERY WIDE OPEN receivers in every game except against the one team that is more familiar with our misdirection ways. (Plus the entire team played like crap that day.)

Everyone was giving all the "credit" to their bad defense in the Pats game.  If that was it, then how do you explain that they fixed it completely in 4 days?  Or that we did the exact same thing to a much higher ranked D on the following week?

The news for the Bills has been how spectacular Buffalo's D has played.  They were outstanding against us, and yet we had wide open receivers for Cam to overthrow.

Shula's misdirection game got a bit of the recognition it deserved in McCaffrey's TD play this week.  How the heck do you defend that play?  It is also the reason for Fozzy's TD against the Pats.  You guys can hate on Shula all you want, but I personally feel he's doing an excellent job.

• Good_Riddance and firstchance like this

#2 Stirs

Stirs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • LocationWestern NC

Posted 09 October 2017 - 04:45 PM

Shula has certainly taken advantage of CMC and they hype surrounding him.

Defenses are keying on him like no Panther in a loooooonnnnngggg time.

LB's are staying home and defenses are flowing his way, so yes, the misdirection stuff is wide open.  Pass plays between the LB's and Safeties are now 15 yds wide.

CMC making a difference whether or not he gains a ton of yds

• coffee likes this

#3 SCJimk

SCJimk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 09:33 PM

Coffee, Shula HAS looked good. Players properly executing his plays makes all the difference. I do wish panthers would continue to pour on the scoring for the entire game.

An Offensive Coordinator is only as successful as his last game. Ride the wave. :)
  • coffee likes this

#4 Josh211

Josh211

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 10:05 PM

Coffee, great post! Great schemes, with variety. Running game (not fakes) worries me a lil bit. But I like the variety! Gotta make the predictable runs 3-4 yards at least half the time. Only criticism I have.
  • coffee likes this

#5 koda

koda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 03:51 AM

It's mostly in the run game where Shula upsets me. Most of the time when they run a play that works great like that option to Cmc ya never see it again. It's like Shula thinks he can only run a good play once a year.

It's those straight hand-offs that get me. When something isn't working why keep running it? I coached school ball offense for 6 years so I understand a need to run certain plays that don't work. Those plays help to set up other plays where ya fake or option off of them but imo Shula is using em to much.

Not counting three sacks (which don't count toward rushing stats) or three victory formation kneels (which do statistically count), *running backs lost yardage on six rushing attempts*. * Six more runs went for 0 or 1 yard*.

IMO Stewart is getting tired of being met in the backfield; he even spiked the ball in frustration which drew a penalty once this yr.

Rivera talked about all these negative plays so maybe it'll get better; at least he's aware of the problem.

I have to agree; over all Shula is doing good. I just wanna see these negative plays cleaned up and some of the great plays more than once a year.

#6 PantherFan007

PantherFan007

Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 30,480 posts
  • LocationMount Holly, North Carolina

Posted 10 October 2017 - 05:25 AM

Not sure why, but I opened this thread fully expecting to see this guy....

a5864797e04ade5e8e725f21cfc00619.jpg

:whistling:  :naughty:  :P

• Good_Riddance likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users