Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Josh211 : (13 November 2017 - 11:34 PM)

Yup! Good game.

@  SuperCam : (13 November 2017 - 11:32 PM)

That's how you finish out a game.

@  SuperCam : (13 November 2017 - 11:31 PM)

Just about to turn off the TV, then CAP busts a big run.

@  Josh211 : (13 November 2017 - 11:31 PM)

Look it CAP go!!! Wore them fins out!

@  Josh211 : (13 November 2017 - 11:30 PM)

Cap getting tough yards!

@  Josh211 : (13 November 2017 - 11:26 PM)

Yup sc. With Olsen comes more options! So much diversity. Hope cs is ok.

@  SuperCam : (13 November 2017 - 11:24 PM)

I'm about to check out too Josh. This was a nice win going into the bye. Then, we get Olsen back. Lookout.

@  Josh211 : (13 November 2017 - 11:23 PM)

Hate garbage points...

@  Josh211 : (13 November 2017 - 11:22 PM)

Ok, run it out or TD.

@  panfanman : (13 November 2017 - 11:21 PM)

we need one more score so we outscore the Saints this week.

@  Josh211 : (13 November 2017 - 11:21 PM)

Pick that cap!

@  Josh211 : (13 November 2017 - 11:20 PM)

Luke's out.

@  Josh211 : (13 November 2017 - 11:13 PM)

Even with da!

@  Josh211 : (13 November 2017 - 11:13 PM)

We might really put up 50!

@  SuperCam : (13 November 2017 - 11:12 PM)

I agree with PanFan ... time to pull Cam now.

@  Josh211 : (13 November 2017 - 11:12 PM)

I don't disagree sc.

@  SuperCam : (13 November 2017 - 11:11 PM)

Wow. It's starting to feel like 2015 again.

@  Josh211 : (13 November 2017 - 11:11 PM)

This is FUN!!!

@  SuperCam : (13 November 2017 - 11:11 PM)

I say replace Shep with Bersin.

@  Josh211 : (13 November 2017 - 11:10 PM)

Cap getting reps.

Photo

How do you watch The Panthers ( TV )

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Oceanpanther

Oceanpanther

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 03:18 PM

I have directv  ( yes, I pay too much ) Since week 2,, my local Fox affiliate  ( Wilmington ) and Directv have not come to terms. So I can't watch the Panthers on Directv.   I get my laptop out, Go to FOX GO,, stream it,, hook laptop up to TV, watch in HD on big screen ( bigger than a laptop lol ) ..  works well.. no interruptions..  
I'm sure I'm missing the point of the local station not getting what they want from Direct TV,, but on the other hand, I can hook rabbit ears up and watch it free..  makes no sense why they can't come to an agreement with Directv , because now, I miss the local advertisements..

I do get the national advertisements repeatedly lol..

I saw others complaining, showing concern, about the game with the Miami tonight and it being on ESPN, and not being able to see it because they don't subscribe ( PAY TOO MUCH !!! as I do )  to a cable or satellite company to see ESPN. 

I'm old..   what are my options to do away with Directv or a cable provider and still see TV ..  I hear about a fire stick ,,  is that where I should be looking ?  At my age,, I'm not going illegal lol..  but I'd love to hear how others now watch TV and the handicaps it causes.

Like you can watch it, but it's not live etc.. 

#2 Just James

Just James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 04:34 PM

If I really wanted to, I could watch the game. People post live streams every night on YouTube of every NBA and NFL game. It's illegal, but it happens. 

People start streams and they last for any duration before they kill the stream themselves (most likely) or YouTube flags the video and kills it on their own.

So, for example, one stream starts and ends after ten minutes. The people who were watching then just go on to the next stream from their search results. And on and on and on. Some streams last the entire game. Most don't. However, you could (and a lot of people do) use this YouTube method to piece together the entire live experience. It's really ghetto and the video quality is as crap as can be, but it's an example of how some people get their fix.

Then there are torrent sites where you can download the entire game hours after the fact. I used to do this back in the day, before the NFL started posting their own full game highlights on YouTube, highlights which are sometimes posted mere minutes after they occur on the field.

I don't endorse piracy, refuse to pay for cable, don't care to sit in a sports bar, and have perhaps an even better option than those three anyway:

Listen to the game on the radio. The Panthers Radio Network call, of course.

We've got a great broadcast team, and there are many Sundays when I would rather listen to them than the tv play-by-play.

So, settle in tonight and turn on the radio (or internet stream, as it were). Enjoy the pre-game show, soak in the build-up, let Mick Mixon and the radio guys paint the pictures for you and tell the tale. Enjoy the game in a way that you might have forgotten about. It's a fun change of pace, and a forgotten art form.

And, worst-case scenario: You hate it, but the tv will still be there for the next game anyway.

Formerly "Mission Code Z" (R.I.P.)

#3 Good_Riddance

Good_Riddance

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,716 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 13 November 2017 - 04:57 PM

My wife and I have not paid for cable in 5 years. We pay for cable internet but not television. And we also don't pay for satellite. We just go with a digital antenna and bought an additional signal amplifier. We get like 16 or so local channels free. Get your FOX, CBS, NBC for all those games.

We also tried out a Sling TV subscription. Its 7 day free trial. We decided to keep the bare minimum subscription for $20.00 a month. It's nice because it includes ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPN 3 (so all those college games basketball and football that show up there but nowhere else). There is also quite a few other basic cable channels on Sling (TBS, TNT, HGTV, etc). Since you are already hooking your laptop to the TV to watch it, you may try the Sling. Pretty impressive picture and only had real trouble with the stream once about a month ago (and that may had more to do with our internet provider).

Since it is on ESPN, I would seriously try out the Sling trial for free and see if you like it. The 20.00/month option only allows you to be logged into your account with 1 device at a time though. Works for us, we seriously only have one tv in our house. Don't watch much personally except sports and Netflix and some local news.

#4 Hobbit99

Hobbit99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts
  • LocationThe Old North State

Posted 13 November 2017 - 05:17 PM

Well, I'm in the Greensboro LA (local area..) so I would typically watch the Panthers on either Fox 8 or CBS 2 depending on which one is broadcasting the game that week. The exception is for Sunday Night Football which is always on NBC 12.  The Monday Night Prime Time broadcast is on ESPN OR you can watch on GamePass on NFL.com for $74.99 only you don't get to watch live.!!  Playback on GamePass starts about 15-20 minutes AFTER the game ends.....

I have satellite TV so the local affiliates are no problem. However, ESPN is a subscription add-on that I just can't justify to watch one Monday night game per year. And 74.99 for GamePass isn't going to happen for delay broadcasts.!! You can watch previous games all you want at most any time. But CURRENT games don't start broadcasting until after the game is finished.

I will try to answer your question about what to do by saying this....  You can watch most of the Panther broadcasts if your local network affiliates carry them. This would be Fox, CBS, or NBC on Sunday Night. However the only affiliates that carry the network sports programming are those that are in or close to the home team area. For instance, here around Greensboro we are close enough that CBS and FOX almost always carry the Panthers games. The Sunday Night Broadcast is always on NBC. So it is definitely possible to get the games without either cable or satellite as long as you can get the local network affiliate stations someway....like some sort of antenna. HOWEVER...that is not always the case.!!!  In some areas here in NC the local network stations do NOT carry the network sports programming because they figure they are too far away from the areas of interest. An example would be an area like Wilmington possibly, or maybe Greenville or ??? Those stations figure there just isn't enough interest to carry the sports programming because they are too far from Charlotte. In other words, the CBS/FOX/NBC affiliate stations do NOT necessarily carry the programming. Their affiliation does not require them to carry all network programming. They can pick and choose which programming they want from the network to a certain extent.

Another possibility is something like ROKU... It is possible to get some programming for free from them. They have some sports programming available on Charlotte stations, but I've found most of it requires a subscription just like ESPN does... Some of the free stuff though is worthwhile if you watch TV. Amazon Prime movies are on ROKU. So is Netflix if you want to get involved with them. They have other stations and services too.  There are some other service providers too that offer TV in real time. Some of them sell you an antenna of some sort to put up on your wall or window or maybe in your attic. They then provide you with a detailed program listing over the Internet (a program guide..) that tells you what is available at what time and on which channel. Usually, once you buy the antenna the rest is free as long as you have a way to receive it (details from the companies involved..).

I've searched and searched for a way to get ALL of the Panthers games. Just not possible for me unless I want to part with a wad of cash for one or two games a year. That is why the ESPN deal drives me NUTS.!! I don't watch enough other sports programming to make it worth while. It's just way too expensive to sign up for a year of programming to watch one game...IMHO..

:headbang2:

#5 PantherFan007

PantherFan007

Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 30,452 posts
  • LocationMount Holly, North Carolina

Posted 13 November 2017 - 05:24 PM

Go to USTVNOW.com and register for a free account.  You can even do the thirty day trial of the paid version (with DVR and HD Quality).  With the free version you get ABC, FOX, CW, NBC, CBS, PBS, and MyTV9. 

http://watch.ustvnow.com/guide

You can go to the webpage and watch it anywhere on any device.  If you have a Roku, you can install the USTVNOW app, and view the free version or do the $29 per month paid version (and get HD quality with free DVR Online) and get rid of your direct tv (or cable, or other satellite) altogether. 

• Hobbit99 likes this

#6 PantherFan007

PantherFan007

Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 30,452 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 05:26 PM

BY THE WAY, it's coming on the local ABC channel, too, not just ESPN ;)

And to answer your question, I have a firestick, but there is too much maintenance (and buffering).  I prefer my Roku Premiere any day of the week.  I have three in my house.  You just need high speed internet to use it.

• Hobbit99 likes this

#7 Just James

Just James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 05:26 PM

I've searched and searched for a way to get ALL of the Panthers games. Just not possible for me unless I want to part with a wad of cash for one or two games a year. That is why the ESPN deal drives me NUTS.!! I don't watch enough other sports programming to make it worth while. It's just way too expensive to sign up for a year of programming to watch one game...IMHO..

:headbang2:

If the NFL posted a fee for just tonight's game, to stream it on their site for, let's say the next week, wouldn't you pay $5-10 for that?

I think that's where the model is heading. I'm sure they would love to do that, but the contracts with the networks aren't going to allow that.

Formerly "Mission Code Z" (R.I.P.)

#8 Hobbit99

Hobbit99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 05:34 PM

Go to USTVNOW.com and register for a free account.  You can even do the thirty day trial of the paid version (with DVR and HD Quality).  With the free version you get ABC, FOX, CW, NBC, CBS, PBS, and MyTV9. 

http://watch.ustvnow.com/guide

You can go to the webpage and watch it anywhere on any device.  If you have a Roku, you can install the USTVNOW app, and view the free version or do the $29 per month paid version (and get HD quality with free DVR Online) and get rid of your direct tv (or cable, or other satellite) altogether. 

I had not heard of this one..... I went over there and looked around a bit. Problem is, there are no locals. Its fine if all you want is network programming. But no locals means no local Panther games.... as far as I can see..???

#9 Hobbit99

Hobbit99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 05:44 PM

BY THE WAY, it's coming on the local ABC channel, too, not just ESPN ;)

And to answer your question, I have a firestick, but there is too much maintenance (and buffering).  I prefer my Roku Premiere any day of the week.  I have three in my house.  You just need high speed internet to use it.

AHH...If it were only so...  MY local ABC is carrying Dancing With the Stars--2 hour programming...... At least according to the program guide..??

AND, I agree 100% about Roku... I think it is the best possible solution... at least right now.

#10 firstchance

firstchance

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  • LocationProud American

Posted 13 November 2017 - 07:04 PM

Try the watch espn app...honors most internet services that one pays for. Not the same as a 60 inch tv but the picture quality is extremely good...and you get to actually watch the game. and did I mention FREE!

#11 PantherFan007

PantherFan007

Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 30,452 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 07:11 PM

I had not heard of this one..... I went over there and looked around a bit. Problem is, there are no locals. Its fine if all you want is network programming. But no locals means no local Panther games.... as far as I can see..???

If you sign up for the free trial, you get ESPN, and that's where the game is on USTVNOW.  I just checked ;)

#12 Hobbit99

Hobbit99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 07:39 PM

Try the watch espn app...honors most internet services that one pays for. Not the same as a 60 inch tv but the picture quality is extremely good...and you get to actually watch the game. and did I mention FREE!

The watch espn app in fact would work EXCEPT it requires you to already have a paid account with ESPN. I can get ESPN from my satellite provider but I don't want to agree to a long year long package.!! The app just lets you use your existing ESPN account on mobile devices or computers....

#13 PantherFan007

PantherFan007

Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 30,452 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 07:50 PM

I'm telling ya, USTVNow is the best plan out there.  You can do the free trial and start watching for free tonight, recording, and everything.  Here are their plans.

23509129_1722219384495780_18058756563479

#14 Hobbit99

Hobbit99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 07:51 PM

If you sign up for the free trial, you get ESPN, and that's where the game is on USTVNOW.  I just checked ;)

Well, maybe it works some places, but every time I try to sign up for the "free trial" it gives me an error code and does not complete the process. The standard "sign up", the free one, includes network channels but does not include ESPN..

I tried the "free trial" two different ways--- first time I tried the "email" sign-up and it just coughed, gave me a blank page with a header line that said "SUB GROUP is empty" and went no further..

Second time I tried the "Facebook" sign-up and same thing... "SUB GROUP is empty" with a blank page.....

Nothing works...

It's okay... I'll let you guys watch the game for me and I'll watch the posts in the "Shout Box".. :-)

#15 firstchance

firstchance

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  • LocationProud American

Posted 13 November 2017 - 07:55 PM

Hobbit I watch the espn app all the time for college football, and I don't have an  espn account. When you go to watch it allows you to pick you internet provider and your password for that account. I have done this for 3 years as I enjoy app st football fro time to time. However, not all internet service providers are included but, there is probably a 100 that are. Just trying to help. You do that to download their free app I believe. I'm good on spectrum and att uverse, I use spectrum becuase I can remember my password with them, lol.

#16 Hobbit99

Hobbit99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 07:58 PM

I'm telling ya, USTVNow is the best plan out there.  You can do the free trial and start watching for free tonight, recording, and everything.  Here are their plans.

23509129_1722219384495780_18058756563479

Yep, the plans are okay... The ones you show here ^^^ are what I was referring to up above. The FREE one (1st column..) does NOT include ESPN...7 network channels only..

The others DO have ESPN but at a paid rate of 29.00 to 39.00 monthly after three months...

The "Free Trial" button does not work. It produces the blank pages I described above..

#17 Hobbit99

Hobbit99

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 681 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:08 PM

Hobbit I watch the espn app all the time for college football, and I don't have an  espn account. When you go to watch it allows you to pick you internet provider and your password for that account. I have done this for 3 years as I enjoy app st football fro time to time. However, not all internet service providers are included but, there is probably a 100 that are. Just trying to help. You do that to download their free app I believe. I'm good on spectrum and att uverse, I use spectrum becuase I can remember my password with them, lol.

Yeah buddy, I understand.... I didn't mean ESPN "account"... I said that wrong. My satellite provider is DISH Network. My satellite programming package does not include ESPN. I have to purchase it separately. It costs something like 34.95 month as part of a "sports" package with a one year obligation. If I try to download the "Watch ESPN" app, it asks for the name of my TV provider. When I fill in that blank it looks up my DISH account then it says "Sorry..your programming package does not include access to ESPN".  IF I subscribe to ESPN with my satellite provider then I COULD get the app. Otherwise... no dice.

Don't know any more than that. I've tried it several times over the past few years. Same thing happens when I try to access "free trials" through my ROKU account. The minute it checks my TV provider it basically laughs at me and says "no thanks"..

#18 Good_Riddance

Good_Riddance

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,716 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:23 PM

*Cough**. Sling.com. legitimate ESPN and legitimate 7 day free trial.*cough*

This is how i got TBS to watch Cubs playoff games. Signed up right before game started and was watching Cubs Dodgers series under free trial no problem. 20 bucks a month if you keep it.

It's how I'm watching as I type.
  • PantherFan007 likes this

#19 ncpantherfan

ncpantherfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 08:41 PM

I gave up Directv long ago. I use an antenna and get about 50 channels including the local ones. Not a big deal, when I wanted to see tonight's game, I just turned it on. It's on the local ABC channel. One advantage of having a local team, you never miss a game. When I want to see my Red Sox I have to buy the MLB package from MLB.com. Well worth the money.

#20 Josh211

Josh211

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 12:23 AM

I forgot to mention Rock 92.3 radio for the Greensboro area hobbit. My bad.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users