Toggle shoutbox Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  Josh211 : (13 November 2017 - 11:34 PM)

Yup! Good game.

@  SuperCam : (13 November 2017 - 11:32 PM)

That's how you finish out a game.

@  SuperCam : (13 November 2017 - 11:31 PM)

Just about to turn off the TV, then CAP busts a big run.

@  Josh211 : (13 November 2017 - 11:31 PM)

Look it CAP go!!! Wore them fins out!

@  Josh211 : (13 November 2017 - 11:30 PM)

Cap getting tough yards!

@  Josh211 : (13 November 2017 - 11:26 PM)

Yup sc. With Olsen comes more options! So much diversity. Hope cs is ok.

@  SuperCam : (13 November 2017 - 11:24 PM)

I'm about to check out too Josh. This was a nice win going into the bye. Then, we get Olsen back. Lookout.

@  Josh211 : (13 November 2017 - 11:23 PM)

Hate garbage points...

@  Josh211 : (13 November 2017 - 11:22 PM)

Ok, run it out or TD.

@  panfanman : (13 November 2017 - 11:21 PM)

we need one more score so we outscore the Saints this week.

@  Josh211 : (13 November 2017 - 11:21 PM)

Pick that cap!

@  Josh211 : (13 November 2017 - 11:20 PM)

Luke's out.

@  Josh211 : (13 November 2017 - 11:13 PM)

Even with da!

@  Josh211 : (13 November 2017 - 11:13 PM)

We might really put up 50!

@  SuperCam : (13 November 2017 - 11:12 PM)

I agree with PanFan ... time to pull Cam now.

@  Josh211 : (13 November 2017 - 11:12 PM)

I don't disagree sc.

@  SuperCam : (13 November 2017 - 11:11 PM)

Wow. It's starting to feel like 2015 again.

@  Josh211 : (13 November 2017 - 11:11 PM)

This is FUN!!!

@  SuperCam : (13 November 2017 - 11:11 PM)

I say replace Shep with Bersin.

@  Josh211 : (13 November 2017 - 11:10 PM)

Cap getting reps.

Photo

Well that was refreshing :)

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 PantherFan007

PantherFan007

Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 30,452 posts
  • LocationMount Holly, North Carolina

Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:33 AM

Great and well-needed win by this team.  I think it will boost the overall morale of the team considerably.

Luke Kuechly... well, LUKE FREAKING KUECHLY. lol :headbang:

Some young guys trying to step up here and there.  CMC  had a solid night, and I'm starting to see him breaking more big plays.  Stewart had a great game.

Cam needs to take the entire O-Line out for a steak dinner.  Suh *(or anyone else) never really got close to Cam all night.  Was he even sacked?  I don't remember him getting sacked....

Our Defense was playing lights out.  Luke knew every. single. play. lol  Dolphin fans over on their board were talking on the gameday thread about him.  "Kuechly knows our plays... look at him... he's pointing them out everytime" :naughty:   That's what he does.  He calls out plays :headbang:

Shepard dropped a couple of real easy passes that he should have had.

Samuel tries real hard, but why does Keary Colbert come to mind? :whistling:

#2 Good_Riddance

Good_Riddance

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,716 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:42 AM

Yep I'm really glad that the team overcame easy drops by the receivers. Cam was dialed in. Samuel and Shepard had too many early miscues that didn't impact the outcome of this game, but it will against better opponents.

When Shepard dropped that early pass on the left sideline hit right on his hands, my dad goes, "Well he's wearing the right number"! 😂

#3 coffee

coffee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,208 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 07:33 AM

It seemed like the EXACT game we needed.

1. Stew needed to get his confidence back after both the fumbles and the fact that he hasn't had a good game this year until now.

2. Fun-fun needed to step into KB's role successfully.  He did beautifully, plus showed the YACs that we were all hoping for.

3. CMC needed to start getting some stats to go with the important role he's played so far.

4. Cam needed to have fun ... and run.

5. We needed to see that the 'Trade KB to improve the run' idea was really going to work.

At the same time, we SHOULD have won this game.  I'm actually glad we had all the miscues at the beginning, because this game sends our guys into the bye with the perfect balance of "Man, we're really good!" and "Man, we've gotta fix this and that."

• Good_Riddance, Oceanpanther and firstchance like this

#4 firstchance

firstchance

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  • LocationProud American

Posted 14 November 2017 - 07:41 AM

Two weeks from the TRADE. Certainly appears at this point it was a winner. Got to give Marty (and the coaching staff) kudos. FunFun seems to have graduated from boy to man. Hope Samuel is okay as he figured into the trade equation. 

• coffee likes this

#5 PantherFan007

PantherFan007

Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 30,452 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:01 AM

Two weeks from the TRADE. Certainly appears at this point it was a winner. Got to give Marty (and the coaching staff) kudos. FunFun seems to have graduated from boy to man. Hope Samuel is okay as he figured into the trade equation.

I just read over on the Charlotte Observer than Samuel "might" be out for the season because of the ankle injury he incurred last night. Time will tell.

#6 Good_Riddance

Good_Riddance

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,716 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 14 November 2017 - 09:40 AM

The thing is, Funchess already had this potential, he just wasn't put into a position to actually utilize it as Rivera acknowledged before the beginning of the year. We'll find out if the trade itself was a "winner" once we see the player we select with that 3rd rounder we picked up for next year. Buffalo had a ton of picks with all their wheeling and dealing, it would have been more of a "winner" trade to me if we could have gotten a 2nd rounder from a team that's camping on a bunch of picks.

Still, it appears we could afford to move Benjamin and have Funchess slide into his spot and have positive results. That's good.

The Samuel injury is sobering, because it just goes to show that all it takes is one bad hit and you start to see what sort of depth you have. Hopefully Byrd is able to come back after the bye too. Haven't heard much about him. Especially losing a speed guy. We had depth at WR before the trade. After the trade and an injury, now we've got Russell Shepard starting with Bersin and Clay behind them. And let's be real, they aren't starters.

Update: I just read Byrd is eligible to come off IR for December 3rd game against the Saints.

#7 coffee

coffee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,208 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:33 AM

I just read over on the Charlotte Observer than Samuel "might" be out for the season because of the ankle injury he incurred last night. Time will tell.

I agree with GR that we are low on speed guys.  But I also kinda think if we can get Byrd back or work that out any other way, I wouldn't mind getting letting Samuel wait until he's had a full training camp etc.  He shows a bit of potential, but seems to have about as many negatives as positives right now.  (What did he have last night? Wasn't it 2 penalties and a dropped TD to go with 1 really good catch and a couple short gains?)  I'd rather those plays go to someone else right now.

#8 PantherFan007

PantherFan007

Owner/Administrator

• Administrators
  • 30,452 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:47 AM

I agree with GR that we are low on speed guys.  But I also kinda think if we can get Byrd back or work that out any other way, I wouldn't mind getting letting Samuel wait until he's had a full training camp etc.  He shows a bit of potential, but seems to have about as many negatives as positives right now.  (What did he have last night? Wasn't it 2 penalties and a dropped TD to go with 1 really good catch and a couple short gains?)  I'd rather those plays go to someone else right now.

Last night he had two penalties, at least TWO dropped passes that he should have caught, and one good catch. This isn't the first game he has missed passes and had penalties against him.

#9 firstchance

firstchance

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 381 posts
  • LocationProud American

Posted 14 November 2017 - 12:29 PM

The guys need to enjoy their next few days off...HOWEVER, we seem to very often come back from our bye week, flat. Coaching staff needs to be on it, come next week. I would show film of nothing but our "issues" from the Dolphins game, I would run a couple extra sprints, I would remind them that the Jets game is a classic trap game and that they are a good team, having won 4 of their past 8 with all four losses being by seven points or less and they are playing at home. There would be zero mention of the Saints and certainly not the Vikes. We need to be clearly focused next week. Just my opinion.

I still want to peak around week 14! And while last night was good, it was far, far from perfect. 

#10 koda

koda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 05:01 AM

Good win and one to build on but I wonder if we had been playing the Saints would the early mistakes have doomed us. Brees and company seem to be scoring at will on most defenses.

We had a great game running the ball but I felt like Miami laid down a little. The Saints and Vikings won't lay down, especially the Viks.Their defense is 3rd against the run; Saints 16th.

We have 3 very tough games left, Saints, Viks and Falcons. IMO we need to be better!

Hopefully Shepard gets better with his catching. My son studies the coaches film and says Shepard has been open an awful lot when Cam didn't find him. He says Shepard is going to have 180 yard game when Cam starts finding him. I said he's gotta catch the balls first,lol.

Byrd can add speed but I don't see him as a good deep threat. From what I've seen at camp he doesn't adjust well to the deep ball. Reminds me of a young Ted Ginn. Ginn was terrible with the deep ball but got much better his last couple years with us.

I've always felt like Kalien Clay could help with getting open quick. Looks like he'll finally get a chance but I figure we'll see more of Bersin. 

I wish Samuel well and hopefully he can have a much more productive season next year. 

#11 coffee

coffee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,208 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 08:02 AM

Good win and one to build on but I wonder if we had been playing the Saints would the early mistakes have doomed us. Brees and company seem to be scoring at will on most defenses.

We had a great game running the ball but I felt like Miami laid down a little. The Saints and Vikings won't lay down, especially the Viks.Their defense is 3rd against the run; Saints 16th.

We have 3 very tough games left, Saints, Viks and Falcons. IMO we need to be better!

Hopefully Shepard gets better with his catching. My son studies the coaches film and says Shepard has been open an awful lot when Cam didn't find him. He says Shepard is going to have 180 yard game when Cam starts finding him. I said he's gotta catch the balls first,lol.

Byrd can add speed but I don't see him as a good deep threat. From what I've seen at camp he doesn't adjust well to the deep ball. Reminds me of a young Ted Ginn. Ginn was terrible with the deep ball but got much better his last couple years with us.

I've always felt like Kalien Clay could help with getting open quick. Looks like he'll finally get a chance but I figure we'll see more of Bersin. 

I wish Samuel well and hopefully he can have a much more productive season next year. 

So you're saying Shep has been having 180 yard games, but we didn't know it because he just didn't have the ball at the time, right?  :P

I'm not sure but I think Byrd will be a huge answer to this even if he doesn't make many catches.  Seems like it's mainly the threat that keeps the D honest and thus the reason we thrived so well even as Ginn was being harassed league-wide for dropping so many perfect passes. 

#12 koda

koda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 08:27 AM

NO, I was just saying my son said he'd have a 180 yard game. Actually, I've never been impressed with Shepard and I never thought he deserved as much play time as he's gotten.

That's why my son and I was debating Shepard to start with. I hadn't been a Shep fan and after studying coaches film my son said Shep had been open a lot when Cam either didn't see him or was to pressured.

Personally, I don't think Shep can catch enough balls to have a 180 game. I think if Bersin had played as much as Shep then Bersin would have more production on the stat sheet. However, I'll be fine if Shep proves me wrong!!!

#13 coffee

coffee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,208 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 09:11 AM

I got you.  I was just messin' with you.

If what your son says is true, I wonder if Cam doesn't have a lot of confidence in Shep, thus not throwing as many his way.  (Although, that doesn't really seem like Cam, I guess.  He threw it to Ginn despite a ton of drops.)

Whatever the case, hopefully they can have enough of a plan to get us through the Jets game.  After that, the sky's the limit.  But we'll probably still have the speed guy question come up, because I think Byrd will always have injury concerns.

#14 Good_Riddance

Good_Riddance

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,716 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 17 November 2017 - 09:43 AM

LOL, no receiver is going to have a 180 yard game in our system outside of a fluke (see Ed Dickson's 175 yard game earlier this year something Olsen has never sniffed). It has nothing to do with talent and everything to do with spreading the ball around utilizing the tight end and being a ball-control/rhythm offense with a quarterback who also sprinkles in running the ball. The team wants to get chunk plays and big-play guys (obviously by drafting CMC and Samuel). 

Shepard is a good guy to have. I wouldn't say he's good or bad based on his ability to catch for 180 yards in a single game. He's serviceable and an average number 3 wide receiver on most teams. He's a special teams ace and that is why he was brought in, because our special teams has largely been unimpressive for a long time. From a talent stand point, he's good enough to be getting a jersey on game day and isn't considered a "fringe" guy like CAP or Bersin on game day. When the team is fully healthy those guys have the possibility of being on the outside looking in on Sundays. Not Shepard. He had a bad drop against the Fins, but I chalk that up to him not getting a bunch of looks in the regular season. A lot of that has to do with a lack of opportunity. Now with Benjamin and Samuel gone and Byrd on IR he's going to step into the starting lineup against the Jets.

I actually think he's going to have a very productive game against the Jets because Shula has done a good job of game planning to get guys opportunities that the opposing team isn't worried about (again see the Ed Dickson monster game against the Lions and also all the trick plays against the Falcons). We have the bye week, and you gotta expect the Jets to be more concerned about CMC, Funchess, and the return of Greg Olsen (not to mention Cam) and all that adds up to Shepard having a prime opportunity to prove he's more than just a special teams guy. I bet he finds pay dirt and has about 60 yards receiving.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users