Welcome to Carolina Panthers Message Board
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
EnterLog in! Create an AccountIt's free!

Photo
- - - - -

WFNZ Shakeup

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 HOOK

HOOK

Hall of Famer

• Fanz
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,906 posts
  • Interests:Football, Fishing.

Posted 25 January 2009 - 12:16 AM

Local radio personality Gary Williams is leaving this market, but hopes to retain his link to the Panthers organization.

Williams, who's co-hosted WFNZ's "Morning Sports Page," with Jim Celania the last seven years, is taking a job with Sirius, co-hosting a morning drive show with Chris "Mad Dog" Russo. He'll be moving to the New York area, but said last week he's hoping to still be able to work the Panthers preseason television games. Williams has done the broadcasts alongside Steve Beuerlein.

Gary's a pro and a friend and he'll do well there. Celania we worry about. Jim, if you read this, I'll bring over some luggage to help you push through the loss.

The move's causing a shakeup at WFNZ as well. Mid-day host Chris McClain's moving into Williams' slot in the morning, which creates an expanded (11 a.m. to 3 p.m.) show for former Panthers Frank Garcia and Brentson Buckner, who had been in the 10-11 a.m. slot the last few months.

LINK

#2 grimlock

grimlock

Captain America

• Fanz
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts
  • Interests:the PANTHERS, what are u crazy... and the university of kentucky, being a father to a wondeful son,

Posted 25 January 2009 - 12:18 AM

it looks like everyone wants to leave the panthers

#3 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• Fanz
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,092 posts
  • Interests:football, computers, parrots

Posted 25 January 2009 - 12:25 AM

Buckner and Garcia's show might be better with the professional radio guys on board.

(and maybe if they'd make "Pac Man Fever" their official theme song)

McClain's show will still feature his worthless, moronic sidekicks and will continue to spend more time talking about everything but sports more than...you know...sports.

Ditto Packman's show. Guests like Gantt, Reed, Buckner, Garcia, et al are the only thing that make that show worth listening to. His sidekicks are even more worthless than McClain's.

Morning Sports Page was the only show they had worth listening to. Now it's gone dry.gif

#4 PantherJD

PantherJD

Practice squad

• Fanz
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:UNC sports and the Panthers

Posted 25 January 2009 - 01:16 AM

Big time bummer. thumbdown.gif

I loved listening to the Page in the morning. Gary and Jim complemented each other well, and Yarbro added some great background humor as well.

I'm not a huge Mac fan, but I can tolerate him in bits. I think he's really going to have to tone down his act a lot for a partnership with Celania to succeed. Both of them can be a bit immature, and somebody is going to have to play the grown up for that show to work. Celania's not going to change - nor do I want him to - so it'll be up to Mac to provide the actual meat of the show while Celania adds the color. Unfortunately, Mac's been trying to play both roles for so long that I'm not sure he'll be able to give Jim the space he needs without stepping all over his toes.

Here's the full lineup:

6a - 10a: The Mac Attack with brand new cohost, Jim Celania.
10a - 11a: The WFNZ Four Horseman with Chris McClain, Jim Celania, Brenston Buckner and Frank Garcia
11a - 3p: The Frank and Buck Show with new additions, Mark Yarbro and Tom Reilly
3p - 7p: Primetime with the Packman

I'm assuming the "Four Horsemen" show from 10 to 11 is just a temporary thing along with having Frank and Buck go from 11 to 3. That has disaster written all over it (well, not so much the Four Horsemen show, which should actually be fine, but it's obviously just some filler to get them from Mac's show to Frank and Buck's).

All in all, this is pretty much going to suck until they get another personality or two to shake things up some more.

Edited by PantherJD, 25 January 2009 - 01:17 AM.

#5 CatatonicII

CatatonicII

MVP

• Fanz
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,928 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 01:58 AM

Bad Radio in Dallas was great when I lived there.

Those guys seemed to have an aire of conceit because they mainly covered the Cowboys.

#6 eswilson102390

eswilson102390

Pro-Bowler

• Fanz
  • 2,163 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 01:59 PM

I don't like this new lineup at all, why ruin something when its going good? I actually like listening to the Mac Attack and it sucks that it's on in the mornings now, why couldn't that have just moved the Frank and Buck show into the morning slot? Buck probably told them there is no way in he// that he's getting up that early everyday...

#7 PantherJD

PantherJD

Practice squad

• Fanz
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Interests:UNC sports and the Panthers

Posted 25 January 2009 - 04:38 PM

The morning is a more coveted time slot - better chance for ratings from folks getting up and driving to work, etc. Mac's show is a more high profile show for them, so that's why they moved him there. I agree that he probably worked best in his current time slot, but they don't have that luxury anymore unless they get another personality to revive the Page in the morning slot.

#8 Alley Cat

Alley Cat

2nd String

• Fanz
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts
  • Interests:Panther's football, Golf, TV, shootin' the breeze with friends...

Posted 26 January 2009 - 09:07 AM

That stinks... I loved listening to that show in the mornings when I lived in Charlotte and still listen every time I'm back down there on vacations... Congrats to Gary though, he's a class act.

#9 Mr. Scot

Mr. Scot

Football Historian

• Fanz
  • 2,092 posts
  • Interests:football, computers, parrots

Posted 26 January 2009 - 12:00 PM

About the only thing I miss from Ohio is that the sports radio there actually talked about sports.

The formula for WFNZ would best be described as "idiots on parade".

#10 pantherprowl

pantherprowl

Pro-Bowler

• Fanz
  • 2,489 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 02:24 PM

I found out about this today and was upset to hear that Gary was leaving.
He and Jim have great chemisrty. I really like listening to them in the mornings.
I can't imagine listening to 4 hrs on Buck and Garcia.
The English language will never be the same again.

#11 Iam4carolina

Iam4carolina

MVP

• Fanz
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,793 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 02:31 PM

With Gary gone I see no reason to listen to FNZ anymore, morning or whenever.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users