Welcome to Carolina Panthers Message Board
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
EnterLog in! Create an AccountIt's free!

Photo
- - - - -

Cam cusses out Olsen. Rivera takes responsibility.

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 PantherScout.

PantherScout.

2nd String

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 06:11 PM

Or it says:

Greg Olsen to Cam Newton after the loss to the Bears; Good Game"...Newton's response; "Fu#k You!"

https://twitter.com/#!/dbasslevy

“You’re not supposed to be smiling and giggling after you lose,” Newton said Sunday after completing 27 of 46 passes for 374 yards in a 34-29 loss to the Bears, dropping the Panthers to 1-3.

“I’ve never had the mentality of losing in my whole life. For a person to tell me you can’t win them all, that’s a loser’s mentality. I play the game and I want to win every single game I play. Obviously it hurts when I lose.”

“As the rest of us catch up to what’s happening with Cam — because I think some of us aren’t growing at the same pace — when the rest of us catch up with him, I think we can be a better football team,” Rivera said.

“This falls on me, first and foremost, as the head coach. We had a plan and we felt good about the plan and unfortunately we didn’t execute the way we needed to,” Rivera said.

http://www.washingto...sGGL_story.html

I agree with both Cam and Rivera. Olsen shouldn't have said "good game" to Cam knowing Cam's will to win and the fact that Cam didn't really have a good game, by Cam's standards. And also Rivera should take responsibility.

Like I said earlier this week, I expected a lot of people to be upset/offended by Cam Newton. I love his attitude.

Edited by PantherScout., 02 October 2011 - 06:13 PM.

#2 704Boi

704Boi

2nd String

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 06:25 PM

Olsen sucked today! I swear i said it looks like he was throwing the game. Started with a false start then dropped passes. 3rd down drops too. He supposed to get cussed out he played like shat today.

#3 52askew89

52askew89

2nd String

• Fanz
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 06:34 PM

I don't know how much I like this...Smitty needs to talk with Cam about his attitude...I love his competitiveness but you have to get along with your teammates. Plan and simple.

#4 thecross

thecross

Uninformed with misinformation!

• Fanz
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,120 posts
  • Interests:The Kingdom of God!

Posted 02 October 2011 - 06:42 PM

It baffles me that anyone can side with Cam and bash Olsen on this. Cam just shot off at the mouth for the first time that we know of. But this can kill team chemistry. Not to mention it's just a buthead remark on Cam's part. He could have just said, "I'd rather have a win..." That was NOT a team leader's response!

Olsen was 5 for 50 which is good for TE.

#5 markimus_prime

markimus_prime

#43 on the field, #1 in your hearts

• Fanz
  • 9,565 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 06:49 PM

I'm sorry but I love these quotes: “You’re not supposed to be smiling and giggling after you lose,” and “I’ve never had the mentality of losing in my whole life. For a person to tell me you can’t win them all, that’s a loser’s mentality. I play the game and I want to win every single game I play. Obviously it hurts when I lose.”

That right there made me a firm believer of Cam. That is a winning attitude. He's not settling for good stats and almost wins. He wants to win. I want to win. I want our team to win. If they could give out an extra Captain's patch, give it to Cam because that freakin rocks!

#6 PantherScout.

PantherScout.

2nd String

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 07:06 PM

It baffles me that anyone can side with Cam and bash Olsen on this. Cam just shot off at the mouth for the first time that we know of. But this can kill team chemistry. Not to mention it's just a buthead remark on Cam's part. He could have just said, "I'd rather have a win..." That was NOT a team leader's response!

Olsen was 5 for 50 which is good for TE.

I disagree. I think this can help team chemistry. When the rest of the players understand congratulating each other on being mediocre and losing the game IS insulting, then team chemistry will be exactly where it needs to be.

That's all this says to me and I side with him 100%. It's not going to tear up a locker room. Cam's hard on himself and he's going to be hard on other players. I really don't think it's going to end up being a big issue. Things worse than this happens between players. It just means no encouraging, wussy, "we competed" but lost behavior or attitude is tolerated, no matter how good any one player does. Rivera agrees with him as well.

Whoever said Smitty needs to teach Cam manners....I LOL'ed. You mean the guy that punched 2 teammates on 2 different occasions needs to teach Cam? Smith's probably right there with him.

Edited by PantherScout., 02 October 2011 - 07:07 PM.

#7 got em

got em

NFC South Chumps!

• Fanz
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,837 posts
  • Interests:Watching football, playing softball and spending time with the wife and kids.

Posted 02 October 2011 - 07:13 PM

I like that someone other than smitty is mad at losing. I am sick of it.

#8 thecross

thecross

• Fanz
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 07:29 PM

I am completely beside myself right now... good thing I'm such great company.

#9 Gratefulone1

Gratefulone1

Legend

• Admin
  • 5,271 posts
  • Interests:sports, family, cars, people

Posted 02 October 2011 - 07:40 PM

I like the attitude but disagree that it is helpful to talk to a teammate in that way. Olsen was out there fighting for a win too. Newton let his emotions and drive get the best of him IMO.

#10 PantherScout.

PantherScout.

2nd String

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 07:55 PM

We don't know the whole story, the tone and how it came off. And so what if it is disrespectful? So is a coach cussing out a ref. So is Smith punching a team mate. It's football, not elementary school! A bunch of big, grown men, full of adrenaline and testosterone. Tempers get hot and fly. You should work in the car business to hear the things salesmen say to each other. I love the intensity. I absolutely love it.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Cam is not your Delhomme awe shucks type personality. The only thing that will tear this team apart will be those that go against him. As long as they get with the program, this team will rock. If he rubs a few guys the wrong way, the best thing Rivera can do is trade those guys. Cam needs a certain type of players around him, and it will have to be guys with a tough skin, that really get him and support him 100%.

Cam does not take losses well because he's never learned how to lose. I don't really ever want him to learn how to lose, to be honest. Look at it this way, if we turn into the Patriots and win 13 games a year on average, you'll only have to deal with things like this 3 times a year;)

That's either going to happen or this team with Cam Newton won't make it, because you can't change the guy. If you do, you will also change everything he is as a leader and play maker.

Edited by PantherScout., 02 October 2011 - 07:59 PM.

#11 PantherFan007

PantherFan007

Owner - Panthersfanz.com

• Admin
  • 26,227 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Playing my Guitar, and Carolina Panthers Football!!!

Posted 02 October 2011 - 08:09 PM

I like the attitude but disagree that it is helpful to talk to a teammate in that way. Olsen was out there fighting for a win too. Newton let his emotions and drive get the best of him IMO.

That ^^^

#12 PantherScout.

PantherScout.

2nd String

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 08:12 PM

It's always helpful to have a teammate that will say something dumb and give you an opportunity to release frustration on them. That's what they're there for ;) They will be fine come Wednesday's practice, I'm sure. All I'm saying, this won't be the last time.

Edited by PantherScout., 02 October 2011 - 08:13 PM.

#13 WildBill559

WildBill559

Legend

• Fanz
  • 17,229 posts
  • Interests:Panthers, Sharks/Canes, Braves/Giants

Posted 02 October 2011 - 08:29 PM

Love Cam's personality, but his apology was needed. Olsen has been in the league for a while and probably has a different personality. Both wanted to defeat the Bears today, only one of them was disrespectful. Unless it was sarcasm, which is doubtful, it was Cam's bad. No worries, I bet they move on.

#14 thecross

thecross

• Fanz
  • 5,120 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 08:35 PM

I cannot believe anyone would think telling your TE "f*** you" is a good thing or even remotely acceptable. Grown men shouldn't act like some punk kid cursing someone out because you're mad. He's a millionaire now and an NFL QB. Time to grow up.

Last thing we should strive for is a team full of that crap! Pretty sure that's not the Patriot way. I sure Brady hasn't told Welker to f*** off because he tried to cheer him up...

#15 PantherFan007

PantherFan007

Owner - Panthersfanz.com

• Admin
  • 26,227 posts
  • Interests:Photography, Playing my Guitar, and Carolina Panthers Football!!!

Posted 02 October 2011 - 08:55 PM

What I want to know is this, Who the hell is the person who tweeted it, and was he simply "captioning" his own thoughts on what might have been said. I haven't heard or seen this anywhere else other than on that person's twitter page. He doesn't even supply a source or link, unless I'm missing something. Just questioning the validity of this, and wondering if this person is trying to either discredit Cam or Olsen.
  • psychobob likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users